The sandwich. Few other inventions can claim to have had such a transformative effect on the world as this simple meal. It’s been credited with saving our pastries, championing convenience food, and giving us that most useful of office lunch-break tools: the brown bag. So, where did it come from? The answer is surprisingly complicated, but there are three main contenders for the title of inventor.
- The first sandwich was created by John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich in 1762
- This is the reason why many restaurants and fast food chains offer a “sandwich” as a menu option
- The first use of sliced bread can be traced back to 1928 when Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented the machine that made it possible to slice bread quickly and efficiently
- In 2012, Subway unveiled its new logo – an updated version of their old logo which included two pieces of cut-out white bread forming the letter ‘S’
- Sandwiches come in all shapes and sizes with different types of fillings such as ham, chicken, lettuce, tomato or even peanut butter and jelly
- It’s estimated that Americans eat 1 billion sandwiches per year!
Others credit one James Dean with inventing them when on a trip to New York City sometime in 1868 during which he found himself limited.
The history of the sandwich is filled with interesting stories. From where it came from and how it got its name, to what people think about them now-a-days; they are an integral part of many cultures around the world. In America alone, sandwiches make up 23% of all fast food sales at lunch time! This blog post has provided you with a brief overview on why we love our sandwiches so much – hopefully this information will help you get your next perfect meal or snack ready for when hunger strikes. When do you eat the most sandwiches? What’s your favorite type?
Sweet Magnolia Cafe & Bakery carries all your favorite sandwiches on our menu and maybe some new favorites! Sweet Magnolias Café & Bakery has the best of everything. Located right in Gainesville, we are a family owned and operated café that offers homemade goodies daily. Our menu includes fresh fruit juice, protein shakes, gourmet sandwiches, and kid-friendly options. The chicken salad here is award winning, and we even offer catering services for your event. Each item on the menu at Sweet Magnolias is fresh and made that same day. Our catering business continues to grow and we would love to provide your gathering with delicious, homemade food. Be sure to stop in for lunch, too. We’ll see you there!